Much like cloud computing, open source technologies have changed the game. When I think about it, it’s unlikely that VentureFizz would exist if it wasn’t for open source software. There’s no way I could have gotten it off the ground if I had to purchase an expensive content management system.
It took many years for open source to become commonplace and especially to the point where you could build a successful tech company around an open source project.
Ed has been involved in the open source technology industry for 20 years, so he’s witnessed firsthand how things have evolved and how open source has propelled technology forward, which we discuss in detail.
He’s currently leading EDB, which provides products, services, and support to over 5,000 customers who are using PostgreSQL, an open source database. The company is headquartered in Bedford, Massachusetts and has 16 offices worldwide.
In this episode of our podcast, we cover:
- Ed’s background studying business at Boston University on an ROTC scholarship and how his experience in the Army helped him as a leader.
- How he got into the tech industry and the rapid growth years at Red Hat.
- All the details on EDB, including their record growth from last year and what the culture is like working there.
- Advice on building out pricing and go-to-market models in the tech industry.
- When is the right time to bring in a Chief Revenue Officer and how the position is different from a VP of Sales.
- And so much more.